Drama Productions 2B by Matthew Swanenburg

Matthew, Writer

Here at Tabb Middle School, there are many fun electives students have the opportunity to take. Students can thrive in artistic settings such as art or drama, or they can learn new languages such as Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. Today I sat in with an elective I have taken and am familiar with, that elective being drama. I already had some experience in a Mrs. Taylor led class, and I enjoyed it. So I wanted to relive that fun class and see if anything had changed since I had it on my schedule for the first semester. I observed different things throughout the classroom and asked students how they felt about drama.

In drama, the students were getting a first look at their new scripts. They were all doing an energetic read through, led by Mrs. Taylor. While watching the students do their read through, I also noticed things around the room.  No matter where you turn, musical posters and memorabilia plastered the walls. Next to the door was a “Legally Blonde” poster, and above Mrs. Taylor’s desk were multiple playbills, all representing a different Broadway show. Another thing that caught my eye was the organization of the classroom. I saw numerous blue sofas situated in different locations throughout the class, and a large number of notebooks neatly placed in bins, which sat on the shelves of a white cabinet near the door. In the back of the classroom white lights hung from the ceiling, behind them a black stage, with a red curtain drifting from the ceiling.

The students in the class were obviously the most memorable thing. They all sat in rows of blue chairs, smiling laughing and acting along with Mrs. Taylor. The energy in the class was infectious, with many of the scholars laughing and yelling. Contrary to my last sentence though, the class was very well structured. After some not very energetic read-throughs, Mrs. Taylor led the class in a fear-reducing exercise, where the students bounced around from foot to foot and side to side counting from six to one. This exercise was followed with an enthusiastic speech about the stupidity of fear. If Mrs. Taylor will make you remember one thing from her Drama class it will most definitely be, “fear is stupid”.

Finally, before I left the classroom, I talked with some eighth graders taking drama. One of the more interesting interviews I had was with a boy named Chris. The questions I asked were rather elementary, but he responded well with his answers nonetheless. My fist question was, “Do you like this class?” Followed by, “Would you recommend this class?” before asking my final question, “Do you also want to take  drama in high school?” His answers were as followed. “Yes, very much. It helped me with stage fright.” “Yes’ it (drama) can teach you how to act and deal with stage fright.” “Most likely, no sure just yet.” My next conversation was with a girl named Genesis. I asked the same questions, and got mostly the same answers. “Of course, it helps me express myself.” “Yes, I hope other students get to enjoy this class.” “Yes, I want to continue the experience of doing productions.”

My time in Mrs. Taylor’s class was very fun. I learned a lot about the class and got to talk with some great students, about their great class. Observing Drama was very fun!