Scenes From Jack Cashwell’s Locker

Jack Cashwell, Writer

When you think back to middle school, what do you think of? For me, the first thing that comes to mind is the introduction of lockers. In middle school, your method of carrying items changes from your backpack to your locker. It’s a critically important and memorable piece of nostalgia for past middle school students, and it serves as a reminder of some of your most formative years.

Merriam-Webster defines “locker” as a small lockable closet or compartment, typically as one of a number placed together for public or general use, e.g., in schools, gymnasiums, or train stations.” This demonstrates the various functions and practical uses of lockers. A locker is, for the most part, used to store supplies. They are most common in gymnasiums and schools, as stated in the definition. A locker is typically opened by spinning a dial to certain numerical digits in order to input a code. The locker then unlocks and can be opened.

The lockers at my school are tall and narrow. They are metallic, painted a tannish green color. They are 58 inches tall, tall enough to fit a lot of supplies, and seven inches wide, still thin enough to fit a lot of them in each hallway. They project thirteen inches out from the wall that they are resting against. They are a rectangular prism in shape and are all numbered. My locker is number 149. All of the lockers are identical except for the added decorations that some students magnetize onto the outside of their locker, but mine is devoid of any decorations. It has three two-inch hinges on the locker door, and six vent slots at the top and bottom of the door. This doesn’t apply to every locker, but the paint on mine has started to chip, revealing silver spots beginning to rust. The knob sits on a silver metal plate that is five and a half inches tall. My locker is right next to Mrs. Hitzeman’s classroom, and I am surrounded by many of my friend’s lockers as well.

The inside of the locker is much more interesting, as that is where I store my supplies during the day. There is one shelf at the top that is already built in to the locker, but I have a locker organizer that hangs from two hooks on the inside of the locker. The locker organizer basically acts as three extra shelves. It is black with red lining. On the top shelf, I keep my index cards, expo markers, and any other supplies that don’t fit in my black pencil pouch, which also rests on the top shelf. I also keep my red notebook up there and my lunchbox. On the next shelf down, I keep my green science binder, my black Spanish binder, and my blue geometry binder. On the shelf below that, I have my white English binder, my yellow engineering notebook, and any other spare books I may have. On the bottom and final shelf, I keep my black and green book bag. Under the bottom shelf is a little crevice, which usually ends up flooded with loose-leaf papers, as my locker isn’t the neatest.

All in all, my locker is a very useful and practical thing to have in middle school. They’re helpful, you can put your own artistic spin on it via stickers and other decorations, and they’re an absolute necessity for any student. They’re also, as stated earlier, nostalgic for former students and they serve as a key reminder to adults of their time spent in middle school and the memories they made there with their friends. The locker is a very important invention to not only students, but also to other people in their everyday life.