Tiger Times

Paula Krewinghaus

Tabb Middle School Tiger Times – June 15, 2017

Thank you to all our parents, guardians and friends and family who have helped support our students and school this year.  It truly is a team effort and we appreciate everyone’s assistance.  Have a wonderful, restful summer!

Mrs. Young

SCHOOL NEWS

UPCOMING EVENTS

Upcoming events can be found on the calendar on the TMS website.

Visit the York County School Division website for information http://yorkcountyschools.org/

WHAT’S THE RUMBLE

The Tiger Times can also be viewed on the TMS School Newspaper “What’s the Rumble”

https://www.tabbrumble.com/student-life/tiger-times/2017/02/03/tiger-times-2/

Web Version

ATTENTION OUT OF ZONE FAMILIES- IMPORTANT NEW INFORMATION

The SBO is now accepting Out-of-Zone applications for the 2017-2018 school year.  Students must reapply annually for approval.  The deadline to submit the Out-of-Zone application for the 2017-18 school year is JULY 1, 2017Applications are available here, at any YCSD school, or at the YCSD school board office.  Click here for detailed information regarding application procedures and conditions.

Upcoming Events and Activities

June 15                 Hoops for Hearts Finals

Last Day of School – Noon Dismissal

The Main Office will be closed today from 12:15-2:15 for the TMS staff End of   the  Year Luncheon.

June 22                Report Cards mailed

TMS LAST DAY OF SCHOOL SCHEDULE

Thursday

June 15

B Day

Last day of school

Early Release Day

FOLLOW THE EARLY RELEASE BELL SCHEDULE

Hoops For Heart Finals:

8th grade game will be during first block

7th grade game will be during second block

6th grade game will be during fourth block

Looking Ahead to 2017-2018 School Year

August 29            7th and 8th Gr New Student Orientation from 10:00 -12:00

August 30            6th Gr Tiger Trek from 8:00 -11:30

6th Gr Open House from 11:30-12:45

7th & 8th Gr Open House from 2:00 – 3:15

September 5        First Day of School

September 7        Parent Info Night for High School Credit Classes in the TMS Cafeteria at 6:30

September 20     Back to School Night for Parents

(NEW DATE)         6th grade parents – 5:30-7:10

7th & 8th grade parents – 7:45-9:10

September 21-22     TMS School Pictures

LAST CALL TO PURCHASE A TABB MIDDLE YEARBOOK

There are a limited number of yearbooks left that will be sold in the main office.  The price is $45.00 and payment can be made in the form of cash or checks made payable to Tabb Middle School.

END OF YEAR CLINIC NEWS

Medication:

All medications including asthma inhalers and Epipens must be picked up by a parent/guardian prior to the end of the school year.  Any medications left in the clinic by noon on June 15, 2017 will be disposed of according per YCSD protocol. Please come to the clinic at your convenience to pick up your student’s medications.  ALL MEDICATION MUST BE TRANSPORTED TO AND FROM THE CLINIC BY A PARENT/GUARDIAN.

FORMS FOR NEXT SCHOOL YEAR

The TMS Clinic website has all of the updated forms and information about the clinic. It is always helpful to have the paperwork completed for Asthma inhalers, Epinephrine Pens, and medication at the start of the year. All these forms can be downloaded for your convenience. There will be extra copies kept at the TMS front office over the summer. TMS middle school students are encouraged to carry and self- administer their asthma inhalers when proper forms are completed by MD and parents. The students will have easy access to the inhalers and will have them for after school activities. They will always be encouraged to come to the clinic if needed for assessment.

Tdap REQUIREMENT FOR RISING 6TH GRADERS

The Tdap requirement is all rising 6th graders must have proof of a Tdap vaccine prior to starting 6th grade. Tdap is not to be confused with DTap. Please submit the proof to TMS as soon as possible over the summer IF it was NOT submitted to your elementary school nurse. Please provide proof of Tdap or Medical Exemption to TMS Clinic in one of the following ways. All forms/proof should state Attention Clinic or Mrs. Locher RN, BSN.

There is NO grace period for this requirement to receive their schedules and to start 6th grade.

1) Scan and email immunization records to [email protected]

2) Drop proof off at TMS front office over the summer.

3) Fax to TMS office 855 369-2609

Pam Locher RN, BSN

TMS SUMMER OFFICE HOURS

The office will be open Monday-Thursday 8:00-4:00 beginning June 19th and will be closed every Friday.  The School Board Office is open to anyone have urgent business on Fridays.  Regular TMS hours will resume beginning Monday, August 21st from 7:30-4:00.

SCHOOL SUPPLY LISTS, CALENDAR AND ADVANCED READING ASSIGNMENTS

This information will be posted on the school website and copies of the reading assignments are also in the main office.  The office will have a few summer reading assignment books available for checkout for a 2-week period.  Please stop by the office if you need to borrow a book.

CAFETERIA ACCOUNT BALANCES

Students transferring to Tabb HS or within the YCSD will have their cafeteria account balances transferred to their new school.  Students remaining at TMS will have their funds available next school year.

LUNCH PRICES WILL REMAIN THE SAME

Meal Prices for the 2017-2018 school year

Elementary Middle/High School Adult Reduced Price
Lunch $2.70 $2.60 $3.25 $0.40
Breakfast $1.60 $1.50 $1.90 $0.30
Milk $0.55 $0.55 $0.55

LOST AND FOUND

Clothing items that have not been claimed have been placed outside the main office on a clothing rack.  There are many glasses, keys and electronic devices that are being held in the Main Office.  All unclaimed items will be donated on June 16th.

SCHOOL COUNSELING NEWS

The TMS School Counseling Office will be closed for the month of July.  The main office will have new student registration information.

SUMMER READING ASSIGNMENT FOR ALL STUDENTS

This summer all YCSD students will be reading!  The following dates and times have been reserved to conduct secondary summer reading Blackboard Collaborate Q & A sessions for middle and high school students. The structure will be very informal. Students may log-in at any time during the available time for their specific grade band and ask general questions regarding the summer assignments.  Please use the following link for more information about summer reading assignments: http://yorkcountyschools.org/parents/studentInfo/summer_readingListsEnglish.aspx

• Tuesday, July 18th – 10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (Grades 6-8)
  • Tuesday, July 18th – 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Grades 9-12)
  • Tuesday, July 25th –10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (Grades 6-8)
  • Tuesday, July 25th — 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Grades 9-12)
  • Tuesday, August 15th – 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (Grades 6-8)
  • Tuesday, August 15th –2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Grades 9-12)SUMMER Online/Virtual High School Courseshttp://yorkcountyschools.org/virtualLearning/vhs/summerAcademy.aspx Participate in “The Hover Games” or learn the latest skills & tools used in “Advanced manufacturing” …there’s no limit to what you can discover this summer at TNCC! Invention Project is a week long, fun and energetic summer program that encourages kids to design and build innovative concepts as well as create marketing strategies through a simulated business format.  The program will be held at Tabb Middle School on June 26th-30th from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm.  The cost to register is $260 and is open to rising 6th graders through 9th grade.  For more information go to www.invent.org/inventionproject.  Registration is now open (space limited to 20 students max.)2017 SUMMER CAMP & ACTIVITY GUIDE The Parks, Recreation and Tourism’s 2017 Summer Camp & Activity Guides are now available for pickup in the front office.  If you would like to view it electronically:  TMS ATHLETICShttp://www.edline.net/pages/TabbMS/Students/Athletics2017 Youth Summer Field Hockey Camp Color Guard tryouts will be next week in the Tabb HS Band Hall June 13-14 from 1-4.   There is no experience necessary but you must have a VHSL sports physical to participate.   Suntans, travel, fun and friends!  Hope to see you there!TABB HS CROSS COUNTRY – ATTENTION ALL RISING 8th & 9th GRADERS Thank you from the PTA! Spend time this summer flexing your creative muscles! Dance Choreography         Literature Photography                                       Entry forms and official rules are in the front office and can be found online at http://www.vapta.org/arts-and-education/reflections.htmlDeadline to submit your entry is mid October 2017. Winners will receive cash prizes and will go on to the county contest. Contact: [email protected] with questions. Free Fundraisers  Keep on shopping at Farm Fresh to help our school earn FREE classroom equipment! Please continue to send in Box Tops, Campbell’s Labels for Education UPC’s, use your Farm Fresh key tags, and NEW this year, is AMAZON SMILE.Shoparoo – Just shop, snap, earn!Shoparoo is school fundraising made easy: the free app turns pictures of your everyday shopping receipts into cash donations and sweepstakes entries for our school! Yep, it’s that simple. No more cutting labels, selling door to door, or time-consuming coordinating. All you have to do is shop as you normally do, snap pictures of your receipts with the app, and voila!1. Download the free Shoparoo app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.3. You can even select a grade to support and have fun with grade competitions! http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1290448    Will take you directly to adding Tabb Middle PTA as your organization to receive 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases OR 2.  Select: Tabb Middle PTA Thank you for your support!
  • 3.  Amazon will remember your selection, and then every eligible purchase you make on Amazon Smile will result in a donation.
  • 1.  On your first visit to smile.amazon.com you will be prompted to select a charitable organization to receive donations from eligible purchases.
  • Amazon Smile Program
  • There’s no limit to how much money we can raise with Shoparoo – the more supporters, the more we will raise for our school. Schools with just 40 supporters are earning an average of $1,000 every year. That’s free, easy money that we could be fundraising too. Check out shoparoo.com to learn more about this awesome app!
  • 2. Select our school from the list and start taking pictures of your receipts – shop anywhere, buy anything!
  • Get started today:
  • This year we are excited to be partnering with a fun, free, and truly easy fundraiser called Shoparoo! Schools nationwide are already earning hundreds and even thousands every year through Shoparoo and it’s a great opportunity for us to really make a difference this year!
  • Through May 31st, each time you shop and scan Tabb Middle School´s key tag, our school  will earn points towards free classroom equipment, all donated by Farm Fresh!  If you need a key tag, please contact the school office.
  • Farm Fresh Key Tag
  • Use the above site to view prior winner’s works of art and get inspired to make one of your own!
  • Visual Arts– Ideas include, Architecture (2D/3D), carpentry, ceramics, collages, photographic collages (multiple photos cut/pasted), computer-generated image, crafts, dioramas, drawing, fiber work, jewelry, kites, metal etching/punch work, mobiles, painting, printmaking, sculpture and wind chimes
  • Visual Arts
  • Music Composition
  • Film Production
  • Create an original work of:
  • 2017-18 Reflections is here!!!  The theme is “Within Reach”.
  • We want to thank all of you, our parents, for your support provided to Tabb Middle School this year.  We appreciate your time, donations, attendance and participation in activities, mentoring and providing assistance in classrooms, library, cafeteria, gym and outdoors.  Our activities were a huge success because of your commitment to the school and our children.  We look forward to a great 2017-2018 school year.
  • PTA NEWS
  • Information regarding summer training and tryouts for rising 8th & rising 9th graders interested in running cross country in the fall can be found in the TMS main office through the end of the school year.
  • TABB HS COLOR GUARD – ATTENTION ALL RISING 9TH GRADERS
  • Monday-Thursday June 19-22 from 8-10 am at Poquoson Middle School Turf Field for ages 5-18.   $85 for Poquoson residents and $95 for non-residents.  Stop by the TMS office to pick up registration forms.   For more information call 868-3580.  Deadline:  June 13.
  • Please check the TMS website regarding Athletic information.
  • MIDDLE SCHOOL AND HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETICS
  • http://www.yorkcounty.gov/Portals/0/parks_rec/Activity%20Guide/2017%20Summer%20Camps_Activity%20GuideR.pdf
  • INVENTION PROJECT SUMMER PROGRAM
  • Camps are first come, first served, so register early by calling:  757 865-3122
  • Technology Summer Camps at TNCC – Thomas Nelson/Peninsula Workforce Development Center’s Summer Camps for Middle & High School Students
  • Virtual Course information begins on page 7 of the summer academy catalog.  Students/parents may register in the TMS School Counseling office for summer virtual courses between May 1st – June 9th; payment to TMS must be made at the time of registration.
  • Summer Online/Virtual High School Courses are available for 8th graders interested in taking a high school course for original credit or repeating a high school credit course and 7th graders interested in repeating a high school credit course.  The course catalog is available for pick-up in the school counseling office as of May 1st and is accessible online:

300 Yorktown Road • Yorktown, Virginia 23693 Phone: (757) 898-0320 • FAX: (855) 369-2609 © York County School Division. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy

This email has been sent to you by the York County School Division in conjunction with Blackboard Connect system. To maximize communication with you, messages may be sent by both email and phone. The York County School Division respects your privacy. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the appropriate school or notify the division by telephone at 757-898-0300.

Tiger Times